Who We Are
If there was a sweet potato capital of the world, it would be Snow Hill, North Carolina and if there was a Sweet Potato Man, it would be Bobby Ham. For over 40 years, The Ham Family has been committed to growing, packing, shipping and processing the finest sweet potatoes and sweet potato products on the market. Currently Ham Farms ships locally, nationally, and even exports to more than 16 countries worldwide. No matter the destination, we take pride in delivering all our products from our family farm to your table.
The Ham Farms Difference
• 1 large sweet potato, diced into bite-size pieces
• 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
• 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) salt, divided
• 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced and rinsed in very warm water
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) sugar
• pinch of salt
• 1/3 cup rice vinegar
• 2 lb. (900 g) organic lean ground beef
• 2 Tbsp (30 ml) chili powder
• 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
• 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
• 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
• 1 tsp (5 ml) pepper
• 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) shaved Monterrey jack cheese
• Handful chopped fresh cilantro
• 8 corn tortillas
• jar of prepared salsa
1. Preheat oven to 400. Toss sweet potato with olive oil and 1/2 tsp (2ml) salt. Spread on a lined baking sheet and bake 5 to 7 minutes. Toss and bake another 5 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from oven and place in a bowl; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar, add the onions; set aside.
3. In large skillet, cook beef over medium heat, breaking up with spoon, until browned, 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend spices and garlic. Stir into meat; cook another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer half to a serving dish. Put other half in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator to use for another dinner. Place beef, sweet potato, slices of red onion, cheese, fresh cilantro, salsa and tortillas out on the table for taco assembly.