Sweet Potatoes an American Story
It's almost 4th of July and I have always wondered what was more "American" sweet potatoes or apples. Not sure of apples place in America history, but check out this timeline and facts on sweet potatoes in America.
- The cultivation of sweet potatoes began in Central and South America in 2500BCE
- Columbus brought sweet potatoes back to Spain in 1500's
- The early colonies adopted the sweet potato and it became a popular food and trade item
- George Washington was a sweet potato farmer prior to joining the army
- Sweet Potato Biscuits were served at the First Continental Congress
- U.S. historians say easy-to-grow, highly nutritious sweet potatoes were a major factor in keeping hunger from the door through such tough times as the early European colonies, Revolutionary War, Civil War and Great Depression.
- George Washington Carver was born a slave, but revolutionized Southern agriculture as well as introduced 100's of new uses for sweet potatoes
Other Hamfarms's posts