• 1 large sweet potato, diced into bite-size pieces
• 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
• 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) salt, divided
• 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced and rinsed in very warm water
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) sugar
• pinch of salt
• 1/3 cup rice vinegar
• 2 lb. (900 g) organic lean ground beef
• 2 Tbsp (30 ml) chili powder
• 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
• 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
• 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
• 1 tsp (5 ml) pepper
• 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) shaved Monterrey jack cheese
• Handful chopped fresh cilantro
• 8 corn tortillas
• jar of prepared salsa
1. Preheat oven to 400. Toss sweet potato with olive oil and 1/2 tsp (2ml) salt. Spread on a lined baking sheet and bake 5 to 7 minutes. Toss and bake another 5 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from oven and place in a bowl; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar, add the onions; set aside.
3. In large skillet, cook beef over medium heat, breaking up with spoon, until browned, 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend spices and garlic. Stir into meat; cook another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer half to a serving dish. Put other half in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator to use for another dinner. Place beef, sweet potato, slices of red onion, cheese, fresh cilantro, salsa and tortillas out on the table for taco assembly.
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for baking
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups baby spinach
1 garlic clove, minced
1 sweet potato
1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
1 teaspoon paprika
Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Mix all of the socca ingredients in a bowl and set aside while you prepare the sweet potato latke, or for at least 5 minutes.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into very long, thin strings, using a julienne peeler or with a potato peeler.
- In a medium bowl, mix the potato, olive oil, chipotle chili pepper, and salt. Bake for 5-10 minutes. Don’t turn off the oven yet.
In the meantime, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, add minced garlic clove and baby spinach, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- When ready to make socca, put an oven-safe 10-inch nonstick skillet in the oven to preheat.
- Once the skillet is hot, carefully remove it from the oven. Pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil and swirl the the skillet to evenly distribute. Pour in the chickpea batter and return the skillet to the oven.
- Cook for to 15-20 minutes, until the socca is set and the edges are browning and pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Top soccas with ajvar, spinach, and sweet potato latke.
2 medium orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled, diced 1/4 inch (about 4 cups)
3/4 cup diced onion
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or use sweet paprika or cumin), divided
1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin and excess fat removed (about 4 thighs)
Combine the sweet potatoes, onions, 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika and freshly ground black pepper in the slow cooker. Pour in the broth. Season the chicken thighs with 1/4 teaspoon each salt, pepper and smoked paprika . Nestle the chicken into the sweet potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Season each serving with additional salt and a few drops of apple cider vinegar, if you wish.